This week on Perpetual Chess, the popular adult improver series makes its triumphant return, with another great guest. I am joined by Stacia Pugh. Stacia has only been playing tournament chess for a few years but has seen her rating rapidly rise to 1777, including a 300 point rise in the past year. What's her story? How did she do it? Stacia joins us to discuss exactly that.
- - Stacia retells how she got into chess, and shares how the male and youth dominated chess world has treats an adult woman. She also shares how she is managing to turn her love of chess from a hobby into a career.
- - She gives tons of study advice, including book recommendations and a discussion of the study habit that she feels helped her chess the most.
- Stacia even made a list of her top 10 chess improvement tips for Perpetual Chess listeners; it can be found at the bottom of this capsule.
If you would like to help support the podcast go here.
Click here to download the episode
Stacia's top 10 improvement tips:
- Maintain balance between hard work and passion
- Game Analysis - always learn from your mistakes
- Work with a coach or stronger player
- Tactics book with themes
- Teach or explain what you learn (helps solidify)
- It's not about rating; it's about learning
- Patterns make you better
- OTB and community will inspire you and keep your interest
- Don't forget end game
- Openings choices should be chosen by someone else! (that knows what they're doing)